Sunday, March 18, 2012
Running
I used to be able to run in college when I played soccer. That's the closest I've ever been to a runner. I would run everyday at practice, 6 days a week for about 2 miles. Well for a while now I've been trying to get the baby weight off and I've been stuck now for about 2 months at the same weight. So yesterday, I started cutting out sweets. Apparently, I've been eating more than I thought... just a bite here and there sure adds up. Well what does this have to do with running? I have been running for 6 weeks now, doing the couch to 5k running schedule. =) When I say running you must first consider that the first 2 weeks I barely ran at all (it took me 3 weeks to complete week 1 consistently). Actually, the first week I ran about 1 minute for the 30 minutes I walked on the treadmill. Now I'm up to running 3 minutes, walk, run 5 minutes, walk, run 3 minutes, walk, run 5 minutes. And, I'm doing it well! My body is adjusting and I feel the urge to go running on my days off. Yay! This week will be my first week with a solid 20 minute run with no stopping. I'm excited. By the end of April I should be running 30 minutes 3-4 days a week :) Let's hope the weight starts coming off... Right now the whole workout only burns about 200 calories. My goal is just to consistently run 3-4 days a week and possibly train for a half marathon next year. My other goal is to weigh in the 140s this summer (which is about 20 pounds less than I do now).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congratulations! Sounds like your'e super motivated and doing well. Andy and I had joined the "No Boundaries" running class/ group at Fleet Feet last fall. It had the same strategy - start off slow. That program starts with walking 4 minutes, then running 1 minute, and repeating. It works you up to running a 5k. I had to stop after developing three stress fractures (apparently my knees and ankles are so poorly suited for running that my body was working in overdrive to prevent dislocations and maintain stability, but I've been informed that this is not normal... lol). But, the last time I ran, it was two miles without stopping. I had NEVER done that before and it felt amazing. Stick with it and I know you'll find your endurance growing and your whole body getting stronger. Good luck!
ReplyDelete