1. a bunch of apples (Gala make sweet sauce, Macintosh make a more tart sauce)
2. cinnamon
3. some water
4. helpers, optional =P
Start with a bunch of yummy and delicious apples (the fresher the better!). We went with some local apples because why buy apples from Mexico when you can get some grown right her in NY with the added benefit of helping your own economy and without all that extra gas/oil used to move the fruit such a long distance (reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver last year really made me take note of where stuff is coming from and how much energy is used to get it to your kitchen table). Anyway... the yuumy apples:

peel your apples and give your helpers some to keep them occupied as it takes a long time to peel 20 apples:



now cut your apples up in chunks (no need to be fancy) and then have your helpers toss them in a large pan, add about 1/4 water took keep the apples from burning and sticking to the pan


take a break and play with your helpers:

add some cinnamon:

cook on simmer stirring every once in a while until it looks something like this:

depending on your apples and how much cinnamon you use it make look differently (some apples look quite a bit smoother after cooking). Enjoy your yummy applesauce either warm, my personal choice, or cold =)
That looks delicious!! The photos are so cute! Looks like everyone had fun making applesauce! :)
ReplyDeleteThis. Is. ADORABLE.
ReplyDeleteLove it. :)
Yummy! I might have to try this. I made apple butter a few weeks ago and the process is pretty much the same except you put it in a crock-pot with a little sugar and let it cook for like 2 days :)
ReplyDeleteOh and now I have to read that book, Kingsolver is one of my favorites!
abby, I want to make apple butter but the recipe I have is complicated. I need to find a new one! Although, not sure what to put apple butter on... nut thins? can you just eat it? what about on veggies?? on chicken?
ReplyDeleteThis is the recipe I used (the easiest one I could find!).
ReplyDeletehttp://dianasaurdishes.com/11/apple-butter-recipe-your-grandma-would-be-proud-of/
I may have put in a little less sugar than called for, taste as you go...I think you can use it in any situation where you would normally use jam, plus whatever else you can think of, even just eating plain would probably be good. I've been eating it on toast, oatmeal, pb sandwiches...not so gluten-free friendly I suppose. One person suggested using it in baked goods (aka, muffins, pancakes, tart filling, etc). Maybe it would be good as a glaze on pork chops? Or you could maybe create a BBQ sauce for chicken with it too. The possibilities are endless!! hehe.