I'm pretty crunchy when it comes to toys, food, and raising babies. We cloth diaper. Why? It saves money $20 for a box of sposies or $20 for a diaper. You spend maybe $300 on cloth diapering total for ALL of your children combined (unless you get addicted and like to buy lots of cute diapers), and you spend around $1000 a year or about $3000 for each child to be in sposies so 12,000 for 4 kids... CRAZY. Why else? That $3000 is approximately 10,000 diapers per child that will be put in the ground and stay there for 200 years or more. So My family of 3 would have used around 30,000 diapers... that's probably more than enough to fill an entire 4 bedroom house. I like the planet earth and I want my kids to have a healthy planet. Cloth diapering adds only 2 loads of laundry a week to my list (this makes a negligible difference in our electric bill, so small that I can't even tell). Obviously, less diapers would mean washing more frequently. We use 100% planet earth safe laundry detergent, with no softeners and no dryer sheets (I made my own dryer balls from 100% wool yarn). Guess what, my clothes are soft and smell fantastic. It also cuts way down on our garbage. Which means less money spent on our garbage bags (our town you pay by the bag) and less plastic used and thrown in the landfill. It drives me crazy when people say it's gross or dirty... you DON'T ever touch poop... once in a while, sure, you get a blowout or some poop on you but no more that with sposies. I use pockets and since I ebf I don't need to rinse them or anything. Just throw them in the washer... This is starting to sound like a rant. Sorry! I've had some negative comments on my parenting recently and I'm a little bitter about it.
I breastfeed. Seriously, you can't improve on mother nature. And, BONUS, it's FREE. Some people have a heard time with it but I am lucky to have never had more than a plugged duct. I can't see doing it any other way. (Kellen did have to have formula, which, looking back is probably due to having a tongue tie that I'm only just realizing he has. We had a really hard time with it =/ ). I think anyone who is breastfeeding for the first time should join some sort of support group in case they too have a hard time. I am in a facebook group for breastfeeding moms with babies born in August 2011. While I didn't really need to join for myself, I did to help give other's support. I would also tell any mom to join a group on facebook or what to expect when your expecting just to get support from other people going through the same things as you. It's great to get advice and just to know that what your doing is normal and wonderful. Trust your instincts always. n Check out kellymom.com too!!
We eat clean, with the exception of my daily can of mt. dew. Damn, I need to kick that habit!!! This means rarely eating processed foods. Luckily, when I do crave something like pizza the local deli is basically all clean foods as the owner makes his own pizza dough etc.
I baby wear a lot. My babies don't lay on their backs in a bouncy seat most of the day. It does not spoil your baby to know that they are loved and important. Here is a fantastic example of baby wearing and mama bear instincts: http://fiercemamas.blogspot.com/2009/10/saving-my-baby.html
I don't believe in cry it out, at all (obviously, if the older kids are crying or upset because they have to go to bed that's different then just a baby not being able to fall asleep and wanting mom etc.). It does not spoil your baby to know that they are loved and important.
We co-sleep. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/co-sleeping-yes-no-sometimes Very interesting article and completely how I feel. http://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns
Regardless of what anyone thinks, and yes, I am a bit pissed off right now. I'm raising my children the way I think it should be done. Yup, they can be big pains sometimes, but so can everyone. They are spoiled; with love. Yes, they have more than some people but they get told no; quite a bit since they usually don't listen the first time lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment