Fall is definitely here. That cold crisp morning air is my favorite type of weather, followed closely by a misting rain in Scotland, but, I don't get to enjoy that on a regular basis. Someday, I'll go back to Scotland and maybe hop across to Ireland too...
Granny, the kids, and I all went apple picking at a local orchard. With all the helping hands it only took about 10 minutes to fill up our bags. I should have gotten more apples though because I have a yen for homemade applesauce and the Jola Gold apples were delicious in my crisp, so, I know they would make a yummy applesauce.
School has started up and Addison loves it. She wakes up talking about school and wanting to watch for the bus. Her class went on a field trip to the Heuvelton Volunteer Fire Department. She had a great time. All she could talk about was "firing the hose." She told me that everybody's mom went except for me (which isn't true), so, I told her I would go to her next field trip. Hopefully, it's somewhere fun!
So I made an executive decision for our family. Our entire family is going gluten free. This is for two reasons. First, so that Josh will have a "safe zone" where he doesn't ever have to worry about what he is putting in his mouth because every choice will be safe. And secondly, in case our kids end up with celiac disease too, it will not be a major change in their eating habits (they can't miss what they don't know...). While we aren't throwing away our food with gluten in it (I just can't bear the thought of all that money in the trash), we won't be purchasing any more foods with gluten in them. When it's gone, it's gone. I have been eating gluten free for a week now and it's nice to be able to kiss my hubby on the lips without having to plan it a day in advance! Of course there are plenty of foods that are gluten free and not healthy, like Schwans ice cream, that I need to start avoiding.
My next change is making my own laundry detergent! I think I'm going to do it this weekend. I still need to figure out how to add some scent. So I'll make sure to blog the whole thing. I should plan on doing one new thing like that a month... not sure if I will though.
Good luck with the laundry detergent! I've heard it's not too difficult, and bonus, it makes the environment/your wallet happier :) As for a scent, I think you could probably add essential oils? Maybe do a test to make sure it wouldn't stain, but when I make homemade cleaner I usually add a few drops of lavender or orange oil for a scent. Or when I vacuum, put a few drops on a cotton ball and suck it up and it makes the air smell nice. It's good stuff I tell you! If you can't find locally, I know they have them on Amazon.
ReplyDeletethe detergent was a huge failure lol. I think it's because I tried a dry recipe. next time I'm going with liquid. I just use vinegar to clean with and sometimes baking soda. I did make some dryer balls!! I've never heard of the cotton ball trick. I bet that smells way better than it normally does after vacuuming. I will have to try it!
ReplyDeleteI am kind of a vinegar/baking soda addict. I use it for EVERYTHING. Miracle products I tell you...too bad Paris hates the smell (hence, essential oils) :D
ReplyDelete