Wednesday, January 18, 2012
"REAL" Maple Syrup
I'm trying to post more so I don't forget funny things the kids say and little moments we have throughout the day. Well, a few days ago (a week? who can remember...) Addison opened up the refrigerator and exclaims "Mom, (pause to place hands on hips)why do we have this chemical filled fake maple syrup crap in here!?" Well after bursting out laughing I thought maybe I should censor myself sometimes... or not. This funny statement stems from my husband going to the grocery store to get the ingredients for pancakes. For him, this includes bisquick pancake mix $4.99 (hello!! we can make it from scratch for less than $1), and a bottle of Vermont Syrup with maple flavoring. Now I grew up eating the "real" maple syrup and it's delicious. Josh grew up with the fake shit. When he came home imagine my look of surprise to see a bottle of chemicals in the bag. From that point on whenever I made a meal that included syrup the children and I ate the real stuff and I would say, "and here are daddy's pancakes and chemicals." Apparently, someone else picked up on this! Regardless, the day she mentioned the fake syrup was the day Josh finished up the bottle. Now, we have ONLY the yummy real stuff it may cost more, but, it's chemical free!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's so cute! I grew up on the real stuff, too, and Andy grew up on the "pancake syrup."
ReplyDeleteLately I've been drawn to recipes with maple syrup in them. I just saw one for a salad dressing that I can't wait to try. Can't do that with the fake stuff :)
That sounds delicious! The real stuff is so much better!
DeleteI'll have to mail you guys some Burke syrup sometime! :)
ReplyDelete